CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
India’s 1st 5G Network Trial Successful:
- Chinese technology giant Huawei and telecom services provider Bharti Airtel announced to have successfully conducted 5G network trial under a test set-up in India.
- The trial was conducted at Airtel’s Network Experience Centre in Manesar (Gurugram).
- During the test trial, the speed of more than 3Gbps was achieved. This is the highest measured throughput for a mobile network in 3.5 GHz band with 100MHz bandwidth and end-to-end network latency of approximately 1 msec.
Sand artist Sudershan Patnaik pays tribute to Sridevi with sculpture:
- Sand artist Sudershan Patnaik made a sculpture of late actress Sridevi at Puri beach in Odisha while tweeting, “Tribute to one of the brightest stars of Indian cinema #Sridevi.”
- Meanwhile, Karnataka-based cartoonist Satish Acharya dedicated a sketch to the late actress. Sridevi passed away in Dubai on Saturday after a cardiac arrest.
UIDAI introduces special blue coloured ‘Baal Aadhaar’
- Aadhaar is increasingly becoming mandatory to make use of most of the government schemes and other activities such as getting a new SIM card or opening a new bank account.
- Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has now introduced a blue coloured ‘Baal Aadhaar’ card for children below the age of 5 years.
- All children below the age of 5 don’t need to give biometric details for getting an Aadhaar card.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Saudi Arabia allows women to join armed forces:
- Saudi Arabia’s General Security division on Sunday allowed women aged between 25 and 35 to apply for the rank of soldier as part of the Vision 2030 social program launched by Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.
- However, Saudi women will have to fulfill 12 conditions including a mandatory medical checkup and a good weight to height ratio.
|Saudi Arabia Capital||Riyadh|
|Prime Minister||Mohammad bin Salman|
Michael McCormack named Australia’s new deputy prime minister:
- In Australia, Michael McCormack has been elected new Deputy Prime Minister after being selected as the leader of the country’s National Party, the junior partner in the country’s coalition government.
- McCormack replaces former Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce who was forced to resign last week amid public anger over an extramarital affair with his former press secretary.
|Prime Minister||Malcolm Turnbull|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE AND UT
Andaman & Nicobar Command To Host Milan 2018:
- The second week of March will witness Andaman & Nicobar Command hosting a multinational mega event MILAN 2018.
- MILAN is a congregation of littoral navies conducted biennially by Indian Navy at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The theme of this year’s MILAN International Maritime Seminar is ‘In Pursuit of Maritime Good Order – Need for Comprehensive Information Sharing Apparatus’.
- With the underlying theme of ‘Friendship Across the Seas’, MILAN 2018
|Theme||‘Friendship Across the Seas’|
Adityanath inaugurates 2-day ‘Rasotsav’ in Mathura
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated two-day Rasotsav, jointly organised by the state tourism department, the Brij Tirth Vikas Parishad and the Brajbhumi Vikas trust.
- Local MP, actress-turned-politician Hema Malini has been instrumental in organising the event which is being held at the Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Veterinary Institute.
- Adityanath earlier felicitated music maestros Pandit Jasraj and Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU’s
EESL signs MoUs of Rs. 3,730 crore with Andhra Government:
- The government-run Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) has signed MoUs with Andhra Pradesh government to invest Rs 3,730 crore in the state.
- The MoUs, spanning across e-mobility, energy efficiency and renewable energy and aimed to create 15,000 jobs, were signed at CII Partnership Summit.
- Through the MoUs, EESL, a joint venture of PSUs under the Union Power Ministry, hopes to save Rs 3,185 crore.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPONTMENTS
Subbarayudu appointed the Ambassador of Bolivia:
- Subbarayudu has been appointed the next Ambassador of India to Plurinational State of Bolivia.
- He is currently the Ambassador of India to Lima.
- He has been concurrently appointed the next Ambassador of India to Bolivia. He will soon take up this new assignment.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT
7th Meeting Of EPG On Nepal-India Relations Concludes:
- The seventh meeting of Eminent Persons Group (EPG) on Nepal-India relations has concluded in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Various bilateral issues including 1950 Peace and Friendship treaty, trade, environment, border and hydropower were discussed during the two-day meeting.
- EPG is a joint mechanism consisting experts and intellectuals from India and Nepal.
- Next meeting of the group will be held in New Delhi.
International Conference On Sustainable Bio-fuels Begins In New Delhi:
- A two-day International Conference on Sustainable Biofuels organized by Department of Biotechnology has begun in New Delhi.
- Union Minister for Science and technology Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the Conference.
- More than 300 participants with representatives from 18 countries attended it. This event aims to provide a common platform to Government policy makers, industry, investors and research community to exchange experiences and challenges related to development and scaling of advanced biofuels.
National Conference On E-Governance Started In Hyderabad:
- The 21st national conference on e-Governance will be held in Hyderabad.
- The government of India and Telangana Administrative Reforms department are jointly organizing the conference with the main theme around- technology for accelerating development.
- The two-day conference will deliberate on several aspects of the e-governance including its universalization and replication, governing e-governance, best practices, emerging technologies and synergizing role of national and state governments.
International Conference on Sustainable Biofuels 2018:
- A two- day International Conference on Sustainable Biofuels is jointly being organized by Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India on behalf of Mission Innovation and Biofuture Platform at the Stein Auditorium, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- The event will bring together experts from Biofuels sector to take stock of current knowledge, share information and best practices, and build consensus on the actions most needed to move forward.
CII partnership summit held in Visakhapatnam
- The third Partnership Summit of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) begins in Visakhapatnam, with over 2,000 delegates attending the meet, 40 per cent of them being from abroad.
- Vice-president M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the three-day event.
- This summit is being jointly organised by the Andhra Pradesh State Government, the CII, and the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion under Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
Hyderabad hosted 15th edition of BioAsia 2018:
- The 15th edition of BioAsia, the annual flagship programme of Government of Telangana was held from 22-24th February 2018 at Hyderabad International Convention Center (HICC) in Hyderabad.
- Theme of BioAsia 2018 was “RIGHT TIME, RIGHT NOW”.
- For this year’s event, Ireland, Netherlands and South Africa were international partners whereas the States of Gujarat, Assam and Rajasthan were the state partners.
|Theme||RIGHT TIME, RIGHT NOW|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
India International Textiles Expo begins in Colombo:
- A three day India International Textiles Expo (IITExpo) of India began in Sri Lankan capital of Colombo.
- It is being organized by Power loom Development & Export Promotion Council (PDEXCIL) with the support of Union Ministry of Textiles & Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
DRDO Successfully Launched Rustom-2 Drone:
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully flown its Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle RUSTOM 2 in Karnataka.
- The flight assumes significance as this is the first flight in user configuration with higher power engine.
- India at present depends on America and Israel for such predator drones.
- DRDO is developing within India a medium-altitude long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicle RUSTOM 2.
ISRO plans to build ‘igloos’ on Moon for astronauts:
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has started working towards developing ‘igloos’ on Moon, called the lunar habitats, for safe keeping of astronauts.
- The habitats will be built by sending robots and 3D printers to the Moon and using lunar soil.
- Although no mission plan has been prepared yet, scientists want to have the technology ready for building these structures.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
PM Inaugurates Run For New India’ Marathon In Surat:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the ‘Run for New India’ marathon in Surat, Gujarat.
- The Marathon is aimed at creating awareness about social causes and call upon all to resolve to build a New India.
- The Marathon is divided into 4 categories. Around 1.50 lakh runners participated in the ‘Run for New India’ marathon which was organized by the Surat Nagrik Samiti.
Aruna Budda Reddy Becomes 1st Indian To Win Individual Medal At Gymnastics World Cup:
- Aruna Budda Reddy has created history by becoming the first Indian to win an individual medal at the Gymnastics World Cup in Melbourne, Australia. She clinched a Bronze medal in the Women’s Vault.
- Aruna, who hails from Hyderabad, scored 13.649 average points to finish third and claim the bronze medal at the Hisense Arena.
- Tjasa Kysslef of Slovenia took home the Gold, while Emily Whitehead of Australia won the Silver.
Parupalli Kashyap Wins Austrian Open:
- Reigning Commonwealth Games champion Parupalli Kashyap overcame Malaysia’s June Wei Cheam in straight games in the men’s singles final to clinch the Austrian Open International Challenge, his first international title in over three years.
- The Indian looked in good touch throughout the tournament as he didn’t drop a single game en route to his title win.
Cricket Canada Announced ICC-Approved T20 League:
- Canada’s own first franchise-based Twenty20 league “Global T20 Canada”, was announced in New Delhi.
- The Global T20 Canada League will begin functioning from July 2018 at three venues in Toronto.
- It is conceptualized, designed, developed and managed by Mercuri Group with Cricket Canada.
- Global T20 Canada League has received official sanction of the International Cricket Council (ICC).
- Cricket Canada has become the first Associate member of the ICC to start a Twenty20 franchise league in the North America market.
Sameer Verma lifts Swiss Open title:
- Indian Shuttler Sameer Verma dished out a clinical performance to outwit former world no 2 Jan O Jorgensen and clinch the men’s singles title at the $150,000 Swiss Open Super 300 tournament.
- The 23-year-old Sameer showed great anticipation and technique to bamboozle Jorgensen 21-15, 21-13 in a lop-sided contest.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Bollywood Actress Sridevi Passed Away:
- Veteran Bollywood actress and Padma Shri awardee Sridevi, who had an illustrious career spanning over four decades, passed away. She was 54.
- Sridevi was died due to cardiac arrest in Dubai. She went on a hiatus for 15 years after starring in home production — “Judaai” — co-starring her brother-in-law Anil Kapoor and Urmila Matondkar.
Former cabinet secretary T S R Subramanian passes away:
- Former Cabinet secretary TSR Subramanian has passed away. He was 79.
- Mr Subramanian was the Cabinet Secretary from August 1996, to March 1998.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Minister of State for Personnel Jitendra Singh have condoled the death.