CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
National Science Day:
- National Science Day is celebrated in India on 28 February each year to mark the discovery of the Raman Effect by Indian physicist Sir Chandrashekhara Venkata Raman on 28 February 1928.
|Theme||Science and Technology for a sustainable future|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Union Government to launch GOBAR-Dhan Yojana:
- The Union Government is going to roll out Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources Dhan (GOBAR-DHAN) scheme.
- It was first announced by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley during his 2018-19 budget speech.
- The scheme focuses on managing and converting cattle dung and solid waste in farms to the use composition.
- It will also help in keeping the village clean while increasing income of farmers and cattle herders.
Amarnath Yatra to begin from June 28th; registration from March 1:
- Amarnath Yatra will begin from 28th of June this year via both the Baltal and Pahalgam routes. The Yatra will conclude on 26th of August.
- The Registration of the Yatris commences from Thursday through the notified bank branches. Ex-Indian Pilgrims can also register for the Yatra.
- The Shrine Board has also issued advisory relating to health and do’s and don’ts for the Yatris.
Railways to install sanitary pad dispensers at 200 stations:
- The Railway Ministry on Monday said it aims to install sanitary pad dispensers and incinerators at about 200 stations by International Women’s Day on March 8.
- The move is aimed to benefit Railway employees and passengers from financially weaker sections.
- The dispensers have already been installed at railway stations in New Delhi and Bhopal.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Central Government sanctions more than Rs. 700 crore under PMGSY for Arunachal Pradesh
- Union Rural Development Ministry sanctioned more than Rs. 700 crore for 43 roads and 15 bridges under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) for Arunachal Pradesh. The total of 685 KM of roads and 577 meters of bridges will be constructed out of the sanctioned amount.
- Chief Minister Pema Khandu has thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the grant and said his concern for Arunachal Pradesh in terms of connectivity is evident from the positive gesture.
- The state is rising under dynamic leadership of Mr. Modi and with such continuous support, Arunachal Pradesh shall transform itself at par with other developed states.
|Arunachal Pradesh Capital||Itanagar|
Govt sanctions Rs. 1200 Cr to clear pollution in Delhi:
- In a move to provide Delhi residents relief from the burgeoning air pollution crisis in the city, the central government has sanctioned schemes worth Rs 1,200 crore to keep a check on alarming pollution levels in the capital.
- According to NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant, on account of the air quality worsening in Delhi due to burning crop residue from October to December months, the schemes will help curb pollution.
Mumbai bus service authority to get 40 eco-friendly buses
- The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) panel has approved the procurement of 40 smaller electric vehicles, 20 AC and 20 non-AC buses, for the city.
- Electric buses are eco-friendly and don’t emit gases and create less noise, it said. BEST, which already has four electric buses, will receive all the 40 buses within the next nine months.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
King Of Jordan In India On 3-Day Visit:
- The King of Jordan Abdullah-II bin Al-Hussein arrived in New Delhi on a 3-day visit to India, the King is accompanied by a business delegation.
- During his visit, he will also participate in a CEO Round-table followed by India-Jordan Business Forum.
|President||Abdullah-II bin Al-Hussein|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
EPFO Makes Online Claims Must For PF Withdrawals Above Rs 10 Lakh:
- Retirement fund body Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has made it mandatory to file online claims for provident fund withdrawals above Rs 10 lakh, taking another step towards becoming a paperless organisation.
- The EPFO has also made it mandatory to file online claims for withdrawals of above Rs 5 lakh under the Employees Pension Scheme 1995.
- Under the pension scheme, there is a provision of part withdrawal of pension, commonly known as commutation of pension money.
Google ties up with SBI for mobile payments app Tez
- Internet giant Google has tied up with State Bank of India (SBI) for its mobile payments app Tez.
- Through this partnership, Google Tez will allow users to create an SBI UPI Id – @oksbi and get access to exclusive offers for SBI customers.
- The partnership will focus on building unique propositions for users and merchants, including specially curated offers.
KYC norms for e-wallets made mandatory from March 1
- Users of prepaid payment instruments (PPI) such as mobile wallets will have to complete the KYC requirements by February 28 as the Reserve Bank of India has refused to extend the deadline any further.
- Those who do not comply with the KYC norms will not be allowed to load money into their respective wallet accounts or carry out remittance-based transactions.
- They will also not be allowed to transfer the cash in the wallet account to their bank accounts.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Smriti Irani Releases ‘India-2018’ Book:
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani released ‘India 2018’ (English Version) and ‘Bharat 2018’ (Hindi Version). The books are published by the Publications Division.
- The book available in both print and online versions.
- It is an exhaustive publication dealing with all aspects of the country’s development.
- With its latest edition, the book has entered into its 62nd year of publication.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Roger Federer And Serena Williams Becomes Most Decorated Laureus Award Winner:
- Tennis legend Roger Federer became the most decorated winner in the history of Laureus World Sports Awards after he won twin honors at the 18th edition of the awards ceremony in Monaco.
- It was his sixth award. The awards include the Sportsman and Comeback titles.
- American tennis great Serena Williams won the Sportswoman of the Year Award following her Australian Open success, her 23rd Grand Slam title.
- Serena is now the most decorated female Laureus Award winner with five Laureus statuettes.
Javelin thrower Davinder Singh Kang failed in dope test, stares at 4-yr ban
- Top Indian javelin thrower Davinder Singh Kang has been suspended provisionally by the world athletics governing body after he returned positive for a steroid in an out-of-competition test last week.
Karnataka win Vijay Hazare Trophy:
- Karnataka defeated Saurashtra by 41 runs in the Vijay Hazare Trophy final on Tuesday to win the tournament for the third time.
- Batting first, Karnataka put up a total of 253/10 driven by Mayank Agarwal’s 90(79), before Saurashtra were bowled out for 212 in 46.3 overs.
- Agarwal hit 723 runs in eight matches in the tournament, including seven 80+ scores.
Uncapped Indian batsman breaks Sachin’s 15-year-old record:
- Uncapped 27-year-old Indian batsman Mayank Agarwal has broken Sachin Tendulkar’s 15-year-old record of most runs by an Indian in a List A tournament.
- Agarwal slammed 723 runs in eight matches in the Vijay Hazare Trophy, surpassing Tendulkar who slammed 673 runs in the 2003 World Cup.
- Agarwal is the only player to slam 2,000+ runs in an Indian domestic season.
118-yr-old Davis Cup to convert into ‘World Cup of Tennis’
- The Davis Cup, in existence since 1900, may be converted into a ‘World Cup of Tennis’ from next year.
- The new format will feature 18 teams playing a week-long event at one venue, instead of the existing 16 teams playing across four different months.
- A 25-year, $3 billion partnership with investment group Kosmos is in place for the new event.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswathi passes away:
- Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamy, the senior seer of Kanchepuram Sankara Mutt, passed away in Kanchepuram on Wednesday.
- The 82-year old seer was admitted to a hospital near Kamakshi Amman temple on Wednesday due to breathing problems. The hospital and Mutt sources confirmed his demise.